History

In 1904 the Sisters of the Bon Sauveur established a convent and private psychiatric hospital at Carriglea, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. During the late 1960s Carriglea was developed from a psychiatric hospital to a centre catering for adults with intellectual disabilities. By 1970 funding was secured from the Department of Health and the first service users with intellectual disabilities came to live in Carriglea. The first residents (all female) were from many parts of the country. More recently admissions were mainly confined to those from the West Waterford area and the Services extended to provide for males. During the 1970s and ‘80s new buildings were constructed for day and residential services at Carriglea, while the first community based houses opened in Dungarvan town in the 1980s. The 1990s onwards saw an expansion of community services with the development of more houses and the Anne Le Roy Centre, with some further development at Carriglea. Further development of new buildings and improvements to existing buildings are ongoing.

Due to the reducing number of Sisters available to continue the services into the future, in 2006 the Congregation handed over the governance and running of the services to a voluntary Board of Management. A limited company was formed and the Service was renamed Carriglea Cáirde Services. The Service continues to be a voluntary services provider and has charitable status.

The community of the Sisters of the Bon Sauveur remain at Carriglea.

Here is a link to the Centenary Book of the Sisters of the Bon Sauveur.

The Sisters will retire and leave Carriglea in 2024. Sr. Mary Fitzgerald, local community leader, compiled this narrative Final chapter of history for Carriglea nuns as they leave Dungarvan after 120 years.